Friday, December 23, 2005
How Digital Cameras Break Ice
Past Posting - A version of this post was originally written on 7/13/05.

I'm finally out of the whirlwind. After weeks of planning, preparing, and studying his picture. V is finally here.

Last night was amazing. The other Kidsave families and I were one incredibly jittery crew. I'm glad I stopped biting my nails back in '86! After watching passenger after passenger deboard, finally a sea of red t-shirts appeared. Our kids were here! I recognized V the minute he walked off the plane - after all, I had been staring at those golden-brown eyes in a picture for weeks.

I called his name and he looked my way. Fear, fatigue, or shyness made him quickly look away - or maybe he just thought I was ugly. (U-G-L-Y! You just made a Russian cry!) So I gave him a few more minutes to adjust to the distinctly American chaos and then I went over to him.

His hair is cut in the most severe Princeton ever - I don't know what his orphanage caretakers were thinking. Maybe that we don't give hair cuts in America? And his shoes - brand new but at least 3 sizes too big... the laces were wrapped around and around his ankles. Short hair, big shoes, purple warm up suit - he's the most beautiful person I've ever laid eyes on.

I showed him a photo album with pictures of my home and pets. He showed some tentative interest, but the real ice breaker was my digital camera. Thank heaven for my sister who's willing to make crazy faces at the camera just for V's enjoyment. I don't think he'd ever seen a camera where you could instantly see the photo. I understand his pleasure - I'm all about instant gratification!

By the time we left the airport V was clutching my hand and calling me Mama. I don't care if it's indiscriminate or not - my heart melted. Halfway home he fell asleep... exhaustion finally overtook excitement. He didn't wake up when we dropped my sister off. He didn't wake up when I carried him in the house or when my dog was jumping up to see him. He didn't even wake up when I took off his too-big shoes, jacket, and purple warm-up pants. And I'm kind of glad. Because I wouldn't have wanted him to think I was laughing at him when an amazing amount of airplane peanuts came tumbling out his pants. Like a squirrel in winter, I guess he was saving them for later.

I have a feeling that Peanut Pants will be the first of many wonderful memories.