Thursday, December 29, 2005
Down to the Wire
As I'm writing this it's almost the beginning of the work day in Russia. I'm mentally willing the Minister of Education to sign the accreditation certificates already! The last day given was "by the end of December." Well, Mr. MOE, it's the end of December - don't you feel compelled to sign? Here's my ode to the MOE:


There once was a man named Fursenko
Whose pen had run out of ink-o.
He'd switch and he'd bait
And make foreigners wait.
Before he'd sign on the line. What a stink-o!



In all fairness, Andrei Fursenko seems to have the best interests of the children in mind. After all, he could have called a complete moratorium (gasp!). But there's a lot of political tug-of-war going on and the end result is children (like Peanut) are getting lost in the struggle.

I first found out that Peanut had been placed with a patr*nat family on December 6. It's been 23 days since I've known who my boy is with. 23 days since I've known if he's safe, if he's happy, if he still wants to come to America, if, if, if... The "ifs" are like little gnats buzzing around - as much as I swat at them, they just won't go away.

Once they're reissued their accreditation certificate my agency will be able to do so much more for Peanut and I. Cross your fingers!