Sunday, January 29, 2006
Small Sacrifices
When I inquired about hosting this past summer, I intended to sign up for the 2006 summer program. But the coordinator was cruel. She sent me photos of four kids who still needed host families. As soon as I saw Peanut's eyes I was hooked. So, ill-prepared in many ways (including financially) I set forth.

After Peanut left and I really needed to start gathering funds I spent about a month in sheer panic. I kept waiting for 25K to just miraculously appear in my bank account but it never happened. I tried every avenue I could think of and my face was seriously getting flattened after running into brick wall after brick wall. Then (angelic voices from the heavens sing "aaah") I found a way to fund a large chunk of the costs. And, thank the lord, I was approved for a grant that covers almost all of my foreign program fee.

I'm scrimping and saving to come up with the rest. Life on an adoption budget is different. Every penny I spend becomes a wasted penny -- because it could have gone to adoption. And, while I'll gladly sacrifice anything for Peanut, there are a few things I miss...

10.) A new pair of jeans. Mine have worn so thin in places it's a gamble each time I wear them.

9.) Pork tenderloin. And generally any other food product that's semi-pricey. At least I'm not down to ramen noodles and mac & cheese.

8.) Contacts. After Peanut's home and I allow myself to order contacts again I'm going to make a ceremony (perhaps a parade) out of placing my glasses in the center of the street and driving over them.

7.) A full tank of gas. I keep thinking that $10 will get me through the week and then I could put more into savings. It never works.

6.) Gloves that match my coat. I lost mine a while back and since I have two other perfectly fine (albeit clashing) pairs of gloves I refuse to buy a new pair.

5.) Professional hair color. I've colored out of a box so many times now it's starting look all one color. In fact I think there's a crayon color named "Margaret's hair."

4.) Hair cuts. Although, if I can get past this in-between stage my hair might look good long.

3.) Dryer sheets. I really miss that spring-fresh smell.

2.) Pomegranate shampoo from my stylist. But my inexpensive Garnier Fructis does smell nice.

1.) The good cat litter. Because... phew!
8 Comments:
Blogger M3 said...
That's a great list! And all worth sacrificing for Peanut. (And coming from a fellow cat owner I KNOW how much you're sacrificing when you even give up the good kitty litter. Whew!)

Blogger avonlea said...
I've been learning to make sacrifices too, and instead of feeling it I keep thinking, I can't believe I spent that much on that. I'm glad you found a grant - that's terrific!

Blogger Elle said...
I had to live vicariously through a girlfriend this weekend as I watched her buy a new and VERY expensive handbag.
I too have given up haircuts. Been since the end of May for me. I got through that "in-between phase" just to find out that there is another one just around the corner.
I do draw the line however at giving up Starbucks. I just cut it down to once a week.

Blogger Her Grace said...
When I quit working, it was really hard to pass by things that I wanted at the store.

What we've found in the last three years though, is that we still have everything we need, even on half the income we used to have.

It kind of makes us wonder where all the money used to go!

What do I miss? New clothes, being able to buy the girls cute little outfits, buying fruit out of season, buying new perennials for the garden (which I did each spring, as they never survived my particular form of gardening), oh and the good cat litter too. Yuck.

I'm so glad that you are almost to your financial goal. It takes some of the stress off I bet!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
OH man! This post reminded of all sorts of things we've given up. I'm with you on the shampoo and hair color. Those went away about six months ago.

Now, we're brown-bagging it to lunch and eating A LOT of spaghetti.

When numero does is home with us, we're going to have a big party and I'm totally splurging on filet mignon.

Blogger Rhonda said...
That's a good list Margaret. I'm so glad to hear about the grant. That's awesome.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
a GRANT!!! A GRANT!!!! THIS is just fabulous news, I'm over the moon with delight! "HE" must have heard those prayers that Louie and the rest of my clan have been passing along!

I'm thinking of you and Peanut, and now that you have most of the funds, we will move our prayers on to cutting the time down until you can see each other again.

Blogger Stephanie V said...
I used to be a shop therapist, I bought clothes, handbags, jewelry almost every week. Then came the adoption and now? Now I'm the most frugal person on the face of the planet. No more buying lunch, I take it with me from home. Even the most mundane stuff, like buying hairspray or shampoo has become an inner battle. But you know what I've found out? I don't mind, or not really I should say. Looking back it's like I was trying to fill a void with stuff. Of course saying that, I can't wait for the day where I'm not looking at my savings account every. single. day.