Saturday, January 14, 2006
Side Benefits
I don't know about you, but as an adult I haven't made many truly close friends. Most of the friends I have are really long-term. (Bethany's been my good friend for 20 years now. Ack! We're getting old.) But this past summer when I hosted Peanut, I unknowingly stepped into an incredible circle of friends.

It's one of the side benefits of hosting that no-one really mentions. In a lot of ways, and as cheesy as it may sound, my fellow host parents and I have become a family. We don't always agree, sometimes we annoy each other, but at the end of the day we love and understand each other. My Kidsave family has been such a huge source of support for me (as I hope I have been for them). I'm truly blessed.

Last night we all got together for a celebration (not one of our kids coming home, but something equally joyful). We vented, worried together, gave each other hope, reminisced, laughed, and hugged, hugged, hugged. (We're a huggy bunch.) I'm just so grateful to have these people in my life.

Sorry to get sappy. But some times (and some people) call for it.

p.s. Another note of gratitude. A huge T-H-A-N-K-S to Lisa -- the designer, creator, brains, and heart behind my new blog template. I love it.
4 Comments:
Blogger Rhonda said...
There's a lot of value in a group that is truly supportive... and there's nothing greater than hanging out with a group that allows you to be yourself!

Blogger Woods Family said...
Hi Margaret!

Wow! We are all really going through this - in our own sad, exciting and hopeful kind of way. I am very glad to "meet" you. I will follow your blog, too.

He is amazing.

:)
Melissa

Blogger M3 said...
I feel exactly the same way about the adoptive parents I've met in our area and on the internet. They are an AMAZING group of people and I swear I get all teary-eyed thinking about them. (And I am NOT a teary-eyed type of person!) When we started this adoption process I thought we'd end up with a child, which was wonderful enough. I never dreamed we'd end up with a whole new circle of insanely cool friends.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love yours and will be bookmarking it right now. :-) Peanut pants. Heh.

Blogger Elle said...
It is so great to surround yourself with people that are going through the same ups and downs as yourself.

I love your blog - it looks awesome! I will be keeping up with your journey.