Wednesday, February 01, 2006
My Crystal Ball is Broken
Five agencies have received their accreditation certificates. I'm trying so hard to be happy for the waiting families that now have a green light. But I'm more selfish than that. I want my agency reaccredited. (And, I want Lisa's and Rhonda's agency reaccredited, too.)

This morning I woke up with a good feeling. I don't know why, but I truly thought today would be the day. I was almost sure of it. But, as it has been for months and months, there was no news today. Damn. And here I thought I could start moonlighting on the Psychic Friends Network.

Mr. Inertia (my ex-boyfriend) told me many times that I was too cynical. While I know that's true to a certain extent, if I were a complete cynic I wouldn't be constantly rising with hope and crashing with disappointment. The emotional cycles of this adoption rollercoaster are taking their toll on me. I remember visiting a theme park many moons ago with Bethany, a different ex of mine (who I shall call Stalker McCrazy), and his nutjob roommate who I mistakenly tried to set Bethany up with*. We debated for a moment about going on this coaster where you stand up for the whole ride. After watching its screaming passengers go by and seeing their heads whip about as if attached by string I stated there was no way I'd get on. And yet, here I am today. By my own free will I'm standing on this ride, turning and straining with every piece of news, clutching on to hope for dear life... and there's no end in sight.

There aren't many agencies that work in Peanut's region. Only three from the accredited pool work there. One won't accept me as a client for financial reasons (insert derogatory swear word of choice here), the other two refuse to work with host families. So I'm stuck. Stuck between a red-tape rock and an unaccredited hard place. Frankly, I'm scared to make the switch to another agency anyway. Mine has their faults, but I adore my coordinator and I've developed a comfort level with the agency.

Today I received an email from my agency's Russian program director. Basically it was a lot of words just to say they have no news. (Not unlike this post.) Here's a quote from the non-update:

"In my last email I mentioned that my ability to deal with the stress has been stretched to the maximum. Not any more. I have recovered. I bought a big bouquet of bright yellow roses during my lunch break and I am applauding the MOE for having the courage to sign new licenses."

I'm glad she's feeling better. But what do her bouquet of bright yellow roses have to do with the price of borscht in Russia? And, there should be a law that no-one can mention frivolous purchases to a woman who can't even afford good cat litter.



* Again, sorry about that Bethany. What was I thinking? But the weekend had its purpose. Thanks to Stalker McCrazy's brother you met your DH. Night Ranger rules!
5 Comments:
Blogger Her Grace said...
Had I not met M. that weekend, I MIGHT hold that against you. I mean, who takes their dates to a major amusement park, THEN REFUSES TO RIDE ANY RIDES? And then wants to spend the whole day in the cheap-ass jungle thing with the animals? AND acts like he despises his date the entire day, but then gets mad when she meets her future husband?

Sorry. I got lost there for a minute in the sheer creepiness of that whole date.

I am such a bad friend. I haven't called you all week. When I do, it's to blurt something at you, then hang up. I know all of this has to be taking such a toll on you. If I had the money, I'd send YOU bright yellow roses tomorrow, just because you deserve it.

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
I have been following your blog for a few weeks. We have considered being a host family, so I am learning alot from your posts about the hosting process, waiting process and the uncertainties involved. I really really hope your agency gets accrediated soon and you can bring peanut home!

Blogger Maggie said...
Bethany,

You and the words "bad friend" could never go together in a sentence. You're the best.

Tricia,

If you have any questions about hosting, just let me know. It has a lot of advantages. My host group became so close; I've made new close friends and we're a big support for one another. Also, I think coming over for a brief visit will make it less scary for Peanut to come over permanently (less scary for me, too).

There are downsides, though. Russia looks on summer hosting programs as a simple "camp" experience and I sometimes find Russian news stories that express surprise when many children are adopted by their host parents. A lot of agencies won't touch host families with a 10-foot pole.

I wouldn't trade hosting Peanut for the world, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. But, knowing what I know now, there are some things I would do differently.

I'd elaborate, but this comment is long enough. Maybe I'll post about it.

Blogger Elle said...
Margaret,
If I had one wish it too would be that both of our agencies are reaccredited NOW!!! This waiting is simply killing all of us slowly.
I totally agree with the rollercoaster anallogy (sp). I have said before that Russian adoption is like riding a rollercoaster at break-neak speed threatening to whip your head off just around the next corner. You yell and yell for the ride to stop but the circus monkey just can't hear you.
I'll tell that coordinator where she can put her yellow roses.

Blogger Rhonda said...
So glad your coordinator got yellow roses. I bet that made you feel SO much better. Seriously, why would she say that?

I just keep praying for reaccreditation, since there's nothing else I can do. Its just got to happen soon, for all of us.