Thursday, February 09, 2006
Motherhood Worry #167
My name is Margaret and I'm a passer-outer.

That's right. I faint at the drop of a hat. Pretty much anything can set me off -- the sight of blood, seeing someone I love in pain, even just hearing about something remotely gross. One of my earliest memories is when I wiggled and pulled at my first loose tooth per my sister's suggestion. When it came out and, much to my horror, bled I was out cold. I woke up with my dog licking my face.

In fourth grade I passed out at a school assembly and partially slipped through the bleachers. It must have been uncomfortable with my legs dangling below -- but, I was blissfully unconscious. I've passed out when getting a glaucoma test, when I just heard about the medieval torture an orthodontist wanted to do to my mouth, and when the fumes from an 80s-style spiral perm got the best of me.

I will admit that I've gotten better in recent years. But my somewhat weak constitution has me a bit nervous because Peanut is the world's most rough and tumble little boy.

For example, he decided running down the stairs and jumping the last 3 or 4 was fun. I was OK with that until he tried to up the ante and jump 7 or 8 steps. Suffice it to say that "oos to roose no" (be careful) came out of my mouth A LOT last summer.

I will do everything in my power to keep him from ever getting hurt. I will surround him with bubble-wrap if need be. But still, I predict some major cuts and scrapes in my boy's future. So here's hoping that my stomach gets stronger... because being single there's no one else to deal with the icky stuff while I'm passed out on the floor.
8 Comments:
Blogger Elle said...
Margaret,
That is hilarious!! Just hope he doesn't become a hockey player!

Blogger Her Grace said...
What about the time you found part of Pongo's tail on the floor? I may even have passed out from that one!

When hurt myself at 2 and needed stitches, my Mom was freaking. The doctor all but slapped her face and basically said, "Woman, she needs you, now get in there and be a mom." She did, and you will too.

I'll lend you the big yellow ball for a bubble suit if you need it!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I believe Motherhood will bring you the strength to overcome the overwhelming urge to faint...at least I hope so because I have a similar problem with barf!

Blogger Rhonda said...
I'm sure your motherhood gene will kick in and you'll be fine! If not, perhaps you should make sure your dog is ready to wake you up every so often, LOL. That story was very funny.
Rhonda

Blogger Maggie said...
Oh, Pongo's tail. That was gross. I've got way too many pass-out stories to include.

What about when Stalker McCrazy had that little bitty mole removed and I tried to change his tiny band-aid. Smack on the dining room floor. I woke up with him and A in my face -- he was panicking, she was laughing.

Blogger Jennefer said...
What does your doctor say about all of this fainting business? Maybe you are anemic or something. I don't know. I have only fainted once and that was after giving birth and trying to stand up and walk to the bathroom.

It is freaky, isn't it? You faint in one place and than you seem to magically transfer to another place (where you have come to) in an instant.

Anyway, a child will change you- there is no question. Especially a rough and tumble boy. Believe me, you will find the strength.

Blogger M3 said...
You'll be great! I bet you won't ever faint once you're in charge of Peanut's wellfare. There's that weird supermom gene that kicks in (so I'm told). It's the same one that lets hypersensitive people (the ones who gag if they even hear about people on tv throwing up) clean up after sick kids with aplomb.

Blogger Tree said...
Yeesh, I though I was a passer-outer! I've really only fainted 4 or 5 times, but I hate it! The nausea and temporary deafness/blindness that preceeds one of my spells is awful.
With me, it's very much a psychological thing, and usually happens when I'm very anxious. BLAH.