Sunday, February 05, 2006
Peanut Fashion
There have been a lot of posts on other sites about shopping for baby clothes. I don't know if it's just that time of year, or if the sand in adoption's hourglass is starting to move for some of us. But the stores have benefited from waiting parents lately.

I, on the other hand, am a female anomaly. I hate shopping. BUYING is fun, but I dread the actual act of shopping. I did, however, gather the courage to go to Target this week, and I spent some time bruising my debit card online. My purchases haven't all arrived yet, but I thought I'd show you some of the items that come with older child adoption. First, you have to know the rules:

  1. Matching attire is optional.
  2. Anything with a recognizable character on it that can inspire semi-violent play acting is appreciated.
  3. Sports-related items are also karasho (good).
  4. Engleeski (English) writing is OK, as long as it's accompanied by a recognizable image of some sort. If not, it must first be approved by a man.
  5. Peanut reserves the right to say nyet to every shirt he owns and then go back and select the first one I presented. It's a very fun game.
  6. Clothes deemed cool one day can all of a sudden become babyish the next. It's very important to respect this progression in clothing.
  7. Dirty shirts are perfectly acceptable. Ice cream stains? Ni chevo! (No big deal.)


This is the item that broke all the rules. My suggesting that Peanut wear this shirt caused him to cross his arms in an X shape and say NYEEEEET! Notice the tag is still attached.

The super-cool toasty warm Spiderman coat. Sure to delight Peanut with hours of pretend web-slinging and climbing the walls. "Mama, s'matri... Spiderman!"


American football, BMX, and basketball. These long sleeve t-shirts will pass the Peanut test according to rules #3 & #4.

And the piece de la resistance....

The Power Ranger costume. Suitable for wearing while riding bikes, going to the store, playing at the park, and attending black tie affairs.

11 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Shopping helps pass the time...my husband tells me I have to stop...but I can't help myself.

Blogger Elle said...
What fun! Boys are the best, really they are.

Love the Power Rangers "formal wear." Maybe D could borrow it for the next big corporate event. Might be a little small though.

Blogger Her Grace said...
That picture of Peanut in his costume makes my heart both hurt and smile a little bit.

Cute clothes!

Blogger Lauri said...
cool duds.... boys clothes do rock.. old navy always has cool boy clothes on sale

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Oh, I simply must have a power ranger suit to wear out next time!

Blogger bethee said...
LOVE these rules! Awesome!

Blogger Rhonda said...
I love that spiderman jacket! Peanut looks so adorable in the power ranger outfit.

Blogger Jennefer said...
You are way ahead of me with the shoppping. I have bought nothing for our expected daughter. I think because it would make it harder for me to look at the stuff and not have the child. The reaccreditation issue has put my husband in denial mode - he is starting to believe it will never happen- so why buy things? Sorry to be so pessimistic. It is just my mood today.

But nevermind me! Actually, please don't listen to me at all. Great outfits!

Jen

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
I saw your post yesterday about the pros/cons of host programs. Thanks for your thoughts. We originally went into adoption thinking that hosting was the way we were going to go because we were interested in older children and thought it was neat that we would be able to "test drive" each other. Then I was bombarded by the babies my friends were having and have been tempted to go the "young as possible" route. Now, we are leaning towards two children under 5 or 6. Ideally we'd love bio siblings, but we are open and feel that fate will bring our family together. Whatever the combo is. Interesting, I just saw on the web that the agency that has host programs near us has postponed their March program. I will have to get more info and find out whether it was cancelled on this end or the Russian end. We weren't prepared for this time around, but were considering next Fall...

Blogger Maggie said...
Tricia, I'm so glad you saw that post. I wrote it for you and the blogger went all crazy. It took me three tries to post it, then it wouldn't accept comments, and as soon as I wrote a new post it disappeared. Weird...

Blogger Elle said...
I love the picture of Peanut in the Power Ranger costume. Adorable! Boys are so much fun! You defintely have the rules of dressing boys covered.