Monday, February 13, 2006
What to Do, What to Do
Ages ago my sister had me babysit my niece and nephew. The kids were already in bed when I got there. Not long after my sister and brother-in-law left my niece started asking for things. She was a master at sleep avoidance. Having babysat them many times before I knew her requests weren't real needs... they were just tactics to delay bedtime. So, I took a tactic of my own and ignored her.

After several unanswered requests my quiet, sensitive nephew started to get concerned. He called for me and/or his mother. When that went unanswered he said to his sister "We're all alone. What to do, what to do?"

Obviously I went upstairs after that. And I'm happy to report these kids have reached adulthood unscathed. I don't think I caused any permanent damage.

Today my nephew's words have been ringing in my memory. What to do, what to do? Most of my host family group has made the switch to the other agency (henceforth known as the OA). I spoke to the OA back in December and was told I needed to have a very large sum of money in my personal savings before they would accept me. I chalked it up as impossible and moved on.

After finding out the news that at least some of our kids are still in the orphanage last Friday, my agency coordinator recommended I switch. So, I'm exploring switching to the OA again. And I'm not happy about it.

My agency has made mistakes. But I just don't believe that the latest confusion with the patr*nat vs. orphanage situation is their fault. It's uncharted territory in a way. They've never dealt with a long period of being unaccredited before and they've never dealt with a large group of kids embroiled in a politically and emotionally charged situation. So, though there have been mistakes, I don't really blame my agency. In fact, I still like my agency and really, really trust and like my coordinator.

The OA on the other hand rubs me the wrong way. They are the adoption equivalent of nails on a chalkboard. But, if they can get my son, maybe it's worth it.

The JCICS has sent out a list of agencies still awaiting accreditation listed in the order they're supposed to get accredited. My agency is high up on that list. But, my coordinator said since the MOE has gone out of order before we shouldn't pin too much hope on that.

What to do, what to do.
7 Comments:
Blogger bethee said...
*hugs*

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this!

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
tough one. i wish you could find out where peanut is and how he is doing. i'll be thinking of you!

Blogger Rhonda said...
I understand. We love our agency too and don't want to switch. Its a tough choice.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Nails on a chalk board...that's exactly how I feel about one of the other two agencies from which we would have to "choose". Tough decision...the devil you know or the devil you don't. I keep telling myself, the end result is the goal, so IF you make the choice it will be for the right reason.

Blogger Jennefer said...
That is a hard call. I think a lot of people are not switching agencies because of the extra cost of doing so. That is partially our reason, but partially because we just feel like this is the right agency for us. It is a deeply personal choice.

I am curious about this JCICS list. Is it on the internet somewhere? Or was it just given out to the agencies?

Blogger M3 said...
Wow Margaret, not an easy decision. I'm assuming from your post that the OA is already re-accredited? If they are, I would be so torn...

Best of luck with your decision.

Blogger Maggie said...
Jen,

I haven't seen the "list" posted anywhere officially. I did see a list on FRUA that has my agency in the same position they mentioned, but I'm not sure it's the same. My agency coordinator said it's not reliable anyway since the MOE has gone out of order in the past.