Tuesday, February 28, 2006
Checking the Data Bank
It's an obsession. Nearly every day I log on to the MOE's databank of children and search for Peanut. I enter my search criteria -- male, born in 1997, in Peanut's region, available for adoption -- and then I hold my breath.

I scroll through the other little boys: Ivan, Yevgeny, Peter, Alexei, Sergei. Grainy photos of beautiful children with solemn stares. Each seems to plead with me asking "Will you be my mama?" I silently apologize to their dark eyes, for as much as I would love to take each and every one, they are not my son.

Then I find him. My beautiful boy. He's wearing a bulky geometric sweater that I can't imagine him liking. His mouth is set in a stoic expression; his false nothing-can-hurt-me orphanage face. But his eyes belie the fear he felt as some stranger snapped his photo before he entered the orphanage.

I release my breath, relax my shoulders, and know I can get through one more day with the knowledge that (according to the databank) my boy is still available for adoption.

My agency coordinator has told me time and again how unreliable the databank is. She has seen children still listed long after they were officially adopted. But I'm choosing to believe what I see. My boy is waiting, he's legally free for adoption, and it won't be long until I can make a "withdrawal" from the databank.
11 Comments:
Blogger M3 said...
I'd probably do the exact same thing in your place. And I'd believe too!

Sending you good thoughts!

Blogger Her Grace said...
Your time is coming, I just know it. Hang on to that belief, and I can't wait to hear the story of the moment you and Peanut reunite. He'll be swimming with Sass and Party Girl by summer!

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
I didn't know that there was an electronic database. Is the website in Russian or English?

I have been checking back often to see if you have had any word from the coordinator who was going to visit the orphanage this week? I know that you would write something if you did, but I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you.

Hope everything is going well otherwise. :)

Blogger Maggie said...
Tricia,

Mrs. Chips is visiting the orphanage today. I'll have news to report tomorrow, hopefully!

The MOE's databank is where they post children for at least 6 months in case family members or something are looking for them. It's not a "child selection" method. But it makes me feel good to see Peanut still there. The site is in Russian and doesn't work properly if you translate it. The URL is www.usynovite.ru/db

If you tell me what you want to search for I can help you fill it out.

Blogger Jennefer said...
It is so sad that the system has kept you two apart this long. It will be such a great reunion when you bring him home- the happiness will be uncontained.

Blogger Gaye and Andrew said...
Margaret...You and Peanut will be together soon. He is so lucky to have you :) ~ gaye

Blogger Elle said...
I do the same thing M. I haven't checked it in a long time. A's photo is of this scared and worried little baby. (typical expression for my boy) He was probably 3 months old and covered in this green medicine. At least I know he has already had chicken pox!

I might have to go look for my little man today.

Blogger Elle said...
I would be constantly checking the database! I can't wait to hear what Mrs. Chips has to say. You are going to be such a wonderful mom!

Blogger Lauri said...
I did not know about that site.. I wonder if Olivia is in there.. maybe you cold help me find her her dob is 11/17/04

You & peanut will be togther really soon.. I just know it

Blogger Maggie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Blogger Liv said...
I am really intrigued by your adopotion story so far. I think it's wonderful that a group of children was able to visit over here. I would also be checking the database regularyly. I check in with my daily blogs 2-3 times a day. It's my nature.