Monday, March 13, 2006
One Paper, Two Paper, Red Paper, Blue Paper
Today I had to rush and get two more documents ready for my dossier. (I had a few moments of annoyance about that. After all, my dossier was completed and sent to Russia on October 24. Wasn't there any other time BEFORE now that these could have been done?) But, all annoyance aside, these were pretty exciting documents to write and put together.

The first was my official request to waive the first trip based on the fact that I hosted and formed a relationship with Peanut. After writing it I sprinkled it with fairy dust, and danced around it chanting for a while. It's just gotta work! Peanut's region has waived the first trip for host families in the past, so I'm pretty hopeful about it.

The second document was my petition to the court requesting to adopt Peanut. It felt good to work on documents that are specific to Peanut -- not just "a child of either gender ages 8-11" or similarly vague verbiage. My court petition even includes the name I want to give him. I had a moment of pause about this, because my intention was to talk to Peanut about his name change first. But, I'm not going to get that opportunity. I'd be more worried if I were changing his first name, but I'm not. I'm keeping his first name, giving him my dad's name for a middle name, and (of course) my last name. Seeing that on a paper bound for Russia was plainly and simply cool.

What are all of you planning to do with your child's name? Change it completely? Keep a part of it? Wait and see what it is and if you can pronounce it?
12 Comments:
Blogger bethee said...
First name will be a modification of my maiden name, in other words, Connor. Middle name will most likely be the name he was given in Russia. (We're 99% sure it will be a boy.)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I've wondered about that myself. We are requesting a slightly older child (3-4 year old), so I would think their name has pretty well "stuck". However, there are certain Russian names that just would sound horrid with our last name. Guess we'll just wait and see (this seems like getting WAY ahead of myself since we're still in the agency-picking stage.)

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
Good to hear that some paperwork is shuffling around.

We are planning to wait and see about the naming thing, but like Leggy we are looking at older children and so we will probably stick with their given name (especially if it was their birthmom who named them) unless it's completely unpronounce-able (new word!).

I just changed my last name to my husband's (process totally fits Protesting Stupidity website) so they will most likely have Russian first names & Irish last names! Well, one Irish last name...

Blogger Jennefer said...
Remember it won't work unless you think of the happiest things along with your fairy dust- so keep those positive thoughts coming...

We have not decided about the name thing. At first we thought Natalia, but have changed our mind. Any Russian girl name suggestions are welcome!

Blogger novice.knitter said...
I think the name change is ok. I am going through sort of the same thing with my daughter, who will be adopted at some point by her stepdad. We want to keep the identity that she has established in having my last name, but we want to let her know that she is wholly his too... that is the important thing in my eyes: her knowing that she belongs fully to him AND me, not just me.

I think it will work itself out... if Peanut is meant to be yours, then the name is not the most important thing... your love is!

Blogger Elle said...
I am using A's Chinese name as her middle name. At least that is the plan. One of the groups that I am a part of posted that there are certain orphanages that use #'s as their names. If her CN name translates to something that is unflattering, I will change it to a different CN.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
We will be keeping our daughter's Russian first name - Darya - and will likely add a middle name (or two, in keeping with family tradition) She is 7, almost 8 so we thought she would be pretty used to it. We will, hopefully have a chance to talk to her about it before we have to make a decision. Now, if had been a name that was difficult to pronounce in English we would probably have chosen to modify it to a similar name in English.

Kay B

Blogger Maggie said...
Bethee -- I like the idea of using a derivation of your maiden name. Very meaningful.

Jen -- there are so many pretty Russian girl's names. My favorites are Ekaterina and Marina. Nadezdha is beautiful, too.

Kay -- It's nice to hear from someone else whose adopting an older child. And, I have a particular affinity for the name Darya because it's my boy's biological sister's name. (She's already been adopted and actually lives near me.) Peanut called her Dasha.

Blogger Rhonda said...
We will keep the Russian name. But, if its really difficult to pronounce we might shorten it up with a nickname that's easier to say.

Blogger Maggie said...
Some of the other host families talked to their kids about names last summer. I didn't -- wish I had. One 13-year old that was here asked for an "American name." But a 12-year old boy wants to keep his Russian name (including his last name) the same and just tack his American last name on the end. They all want different things. That's why I wish I had the chance to talk to Peanut first.

Blogger Jennefer said...
Margaret- Thanks for the name suggestions. I will copy them down and see what M thinks.

Blogger Elle said...
When we first were married we had names all picked out for our children. When we were led to adopt from Russia we picked out Russian names for our children. Alexei, Mikhail and Nikolai for boys, Irina and another for girls. When we got our referal he came with the name Aleksandr. We later found out his given middle name was Nikolai. We had decided to Americanize his first name add D's grandfather's first name and keep his given middle name. So it was going to be Alexander Roy Nikolai Lindholm. A little long, but that is what we liked.

Now we are back to square one, but our Russian name list has changed a little. Our child will still have a family middle name and a Russian first name. Just don't know yet.