Monday, April 24, 2006
What a Difference a Year Makes
One year ago today my relationship with Mr. Inertia ended.

We had started dating in early 2004. I'd known him my whole life, but hadn't seen him in about 10 years. Then, one day in the waiting room of the Intensive Care Unit we ran into each other. I thought it was a funny way to meet at the time... now I think it was an omen. Because that's what our relationship needed -- intensive care.

Somehow during our relationship I convinced myself that he was the right guy. (Pause while Margaret stares at the computer screen in puzzlement over her own idiocy.) Signs that he was, in fact, not right include:

10.) He liked kiddie cartoons.

9.) He dyed his own hair and it came out orange.

8.) He would pass gas and blame it on my dog.

7.) He had a joint bank account with his mother.

6.) He lived with his parents until he was 28.

5.) He always paused to see if I would pay when we went out, and then he always let me.

4.) He told really bad jokes and would retell them when I didn't laugh.

3.) He talked about his "friends" but I never met any of them...

2.) He bought me a bottle of Boone's Farm for Valentine's Day.

1.) He didn't get Napolean Dynamite.

I can't believe that it's only been a year since I was cut loose from that piece of dead weight. It feels like so much longer -- and I mean that in a good way. Even though this adoption wait has been difficult (to say the least), I'm so much happier with the direction my life is heading now.

When my time in limbo with Mr. Inertia ended I dove headfirst into adoption. I made an appointment with an adoption attorney, and he recommended I join FRUA. My first FRUA newsletter had information about the Kidsave Summer Miracles program. I called, intending to inquire about hosting the next year, and soon saw Peanut's picture. I was hooked.

It's a chain of events that I couldn't have planned. But as sad as I felt one year ago today, it was the best thing that could have happened to me. I've learned that I deserve more in a relationship and I won't settle ever again. I've met the boy that is going to be my son -- and he's the most important person in the world to me.

It's been one year since I've been free of Mr. Inertia. I don't miss the bad jokes at all.

7 Comments:
Blogger Jennefer said...
I am glad that you are feeling free from that relationship chain around your neck. The scary thing is that my dh has some similiar character traits:

10.) He watches kiddie cartoons with our kids.

9.) He bleached his hair before we were dating- I thought the blond streaks were natural. I was disappointed when they grew out.

8.) He no longer feels the need to blame anyone for passing gas.

7.) He wanted to surprise me with a homemade, romantic meal after we were married, but did he make it? No, he had his mother do it, then he brought it over to our house.

6.) When we were dating- he was 24 and was living with his parents (only he had recently moved back after living with roomates at college- so it wasn't so bad).

5.) He never had me pay for anything- so this one was good.

4.) He still tells really bad jokes and retells them when we all don't laugh. Last night I told my kids that they will NEVER get a date if they ever repeat any of M's jokes. He also invents new stupid facial expressions to mean certain emotions. Scary!

3.) I won't even get started about his "friends"...

2.) M is usually good about nice gifts for Valentine's Day or Christmas etc., he refuses to give me practical things though. I really wanted a new soft potty seat one year, but he refused in favor of some nice earrings or something.

1.) We have decided that Napoleon Dynamite divides the old from the young. If you don't get it you are old. Luckily, we both liked it.

So, I guess I missed the warning signs. Where were you 14 years ago to help me out with this? Ha Ha


Sorry so long

Blogger 6blessings said...
Isn't hindsight always interesting? Peanut for Mr. Inertia-- good trade!! Still praying you'll hear super news soon!

Blogger Her Grace said...
You know, there were so many little things that you could shrug away or learn to deal with in Mr. Inertia. The warning signs were not glaring, blinking, neon signs, but more like those small "For Sale By Owner" signs you see stuck in front yards here and there.

I'm glad you're free of him. I'm more glad that you found Peanut partly as a result.

I guess that's how you can look at your relationship with him. If it had never happened, you probably wouldn't have been led to Peanut.

Goodbye Mr. Inertia...hello Peanut!!

Blogger kirsten said...
isn't it funny how certain things about people can just drive you nuts?!? i dated a guy once that i could list things about too and some of those things i now find in my husband, but they are endearing in him. mr. inertia was an experience that you learned a lot from and that is good. and, if he helped lead you to peanut, that's the best. hoping you hear good news soon!

kirsten

p.s.
he didn't get napoleon dynamite? does anything else matter? :)

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
funny how we look back at things and can see how we've grown. i once went out with a guy who had a michael hutchence look (longer hair, pony tail, tight jeans) ... really really cool. He invited me over to his place for dinner - and it was a complete gourmet feast with candles and music. I couldn't believe my luck. Then the makeout session started, which reminded me of my boyfriend when I was 13. (I'll save the details, but it was awkward.) Then he proudly showed me his sticker collection in his dorm-styled bedroom (complete with futon). Including his scratch-n-sniff and puffy stickers. I kept thinking this is a joke, right? But no - he was sooo serious about this sticker collection. We never went out again.

Blogger Rhonda said...
Ohhhh he didn't get Napoleon Dynamite? Goodbye Mr. Inertia.

I bet a year ago you couldn't imagine that your life has turned out this way. That's wonderful. Its amazing how every time I think I have a plan, my life goes in another direction. Its always a better direction than I had planned for myself.

Blogger Yeah So said...
Do the chickens have large talons?

Thanks goodness Peanut won't be raised by such an uncultured dolt.