Wednesday, April 05, 2006
A Mom in the Making
When I was 4 or 5 Santa brought me a beautiful little doll in a pink frilly dress. She was lying in a tomato basket my mom had covered in fabric and decorated with ribbon and lace. Despite the feminine touches I named the doll "Baby Jesus." (My sister later told me Baby Jesus was retarded and made me cry. My very, very Catholic parents were horrified.)

In high school I dreamed of one day being a mother. I thought of names for my future children... maybe Taryn with a "y" or Sorrel after a character from my favorite children's book.

In my late 20s many of friends had children. While I had always wanted kids I was formerly fine with motherhood being a future endeavor. But at 27 my uterus skipped a beat. I was in full-fledged baby trauma. I remember my friend and co-worker, Ginny, coming to the office with her new baby boy. She had gone through years of baby trauma so she understood when I hesitated to hold her son. I wasn't afraid of holding him. I was afraid of what I would feel. She placed him in my arms and sat silently next to me for 45 minutes while I cried in my cubicle. That was the day when the dream of being a mother became a mission for me.

At 30 I finally started to accept that marriage may not happen. So the first thoughts of a Plan B started to emerge. After months of research and soul-searching adoption became less of an alternative and more of a choice for me. It's the way I want to form my family. My relationship with Mr. Inertia put my plans on hold for a while, but last summer I learned about the hosting program and subsequently met my child. From thousands of miles away here was the little boy destined for my home and my heart.

I've always, always known that I wanted to be a mother. While the desire to carry around a baby in a tomato basket and substitute "i"s with "y"s faded long ago, my mother instinct has never wavered. I never planned to adopt an older child. But Peanut and I fit together so perfectly I feel it was in my life's plan all along... I just didn't know it.
12 Comments:
Blogger Rhonda said...
I can totally identify with this Margaret. I think it was definitely meant to be for you and Peanut. What a cool story.

Blogger fuzzandfuzzlet said...
awe beautiful post.

Lori

Blogger 6blessings said...
Praying it will happen very soon. Keep the dream alive. You'll be a great mom!!

I have a foster sister that waited to get married. She is now 48 and has never married. Mr. Right just hasn't come along. About the time she turned forty, she decided to adopt. She's glad she did. She has two beautiful teenage daughters now who love her dearly. They are a great little family. She also does foster care.

You and Peanut will be awesome together.

Blogger Her Grace said...
Baby trauma may be a distant memory for me, but I remember it pretty vividly.

I remember waiting and waiting to get pregnant, and when I finally did and I saw her, I thought, "You are who I was waiting for." A month earlier or later -- heck a day earlier or later -- and it wouldn't have been her. And I wouldn't trade her for even one second of waiting.

I know that's exactly how you feel about Peanut, when you saw him you knew that he was the one you've been waiting for. I can't wait for you to bring him home.

And I am SO glad you aren't naming him Sorrel. :)

Blogger Gaye and Andrew said...
Margaret...Peanut is so lucky to have someone like you that wants to be his Mommy. It will happen...stupid paperwork and agencies...it will happen and you and Peanut will be a family :) gaye

Blogger Deb said...
I don't know whether to shed a tear or smile. You are so sweet and you are going to be a great mom.

Blogger kirsten said...
it is so neat to read your story and see how God has planned all of the things in your life, and all of the things in peanut's life, to bring you together. it is a beautiful picture of many things!

Blogger Jennefer said...
I loved your post. I hope it won't be long now. I think when you guys are finally reunited we are all going to cry- and smile through our tears.

When I was younger I had a list of baby names too. They were all girl names. My favorites were:

1. Paris- which Michael Jackson and Paris Hilton ruined
2. Jasmine- which Alladin ruined

I love my boys dearly, and I wouldn't trade them for the world, but I always thought I would have a girl. Thanks for your story.

We are all working on our dreams. It will happen.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Margaret, great post. You and Peanut were meant to be. The paperwork part sucks, especially when it adds delays. Hoping & praying that your dream is soon reality.

Blogger Lauri said...
It is meant to be...always praying for you that you will hear good news by Easter 06- not giving up on that.....

Hugs
Lauri

Blogger Sandra said...
What a sweet story!

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
I always love reading your posts. I am hoping for some news soon.