Wednesday, March 22, 2006
The Story of a Duck
I had a friend in high school, you know the type... blonde, tall, perfect body. The kind of girl you really wanted to hate. But the girl I knew was also fun and incredibly sweet so, despite my inner jealousy, I loved her to no end. She was book-smart (in fact, she's a lawyer today) but she was, without a doubt, the ditsiest person I've ever encountered. Once while eating lunch she asked in all seriousness "If a tangerine comes from Florida, isn't it an orange?". I kid you not.

One summer I vacationed with her family (on their yacht, no less). When she and I were playing tennis at the marina an eager duck waddled up to my friend. She stuck her fingers out to the duck as if offering a bit of food. It came closer, opened its bill, and snapped down on her fingers. My friend yelled out in pain. Two seconds later she stuck her fingers out to the duck again. Snap! Ouch! And again. Snap! Ouch! Over and over... 5, 6, 7 times. Snap! Ouch! Finally, holding her red, swollen, and painful fingers in the air my friend said "What a stupid duck. When is he gonna learn I don't have any food?" I just shook my head and wondered what the duck thought of her.

Today I waited for more news on Peanut. Maybe Mrs. Chips received permission to visit him. Maybe my agency was able to get some official word on his whereabouts or availability. Something. Anything. Please. But again, there was no news.

I'm starting to think that I'm a lot like my friend. And the adoption process? Well, it's just one great big duck.
8 Comments:
Blogger Jennefer said...
I had a friend like that. Guys were always asking me about her. It got really annoying.

I know the adoption process likes to bite, but don't feel stupid about being kept in the dark and for asking and hoping for more information. In this case the duck is stupid, not you.

Blogger Rhonda said...
You're right Margaret...one GIANT duck biting all of us.

Blogger Gaye and Andrew said...
I would have been the stupid girl holding her hand out to the duck...not the pretty, popular girl...just the dingleberry who is clumsy and who thinks she can charm the duck :)

Thinking about you...gaye

Blogger Deb said...
Thanks for the tip on my Home Study. You made me laugh!

Hoping you hear news very soon.

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
great story, but hoping that you have some news soon.

Blogger Maggie said...
I actually heard from my agency today. There's no more news on Peanut yet. But one of the documents I just did needed to be redone. See? My fingers were just bit by the duck again.

Blogger Her Grace said...
I had forgotten that story and oh how I love it.

Sorry about the form that needs to be redone. If you had a nickel for every delay, money would never be an issue!

Blogger fuzzandfuzzlet said...
I am sorry there is no new news. I have to tell you that your duck story made me laugh.... really laugh.

Lori