Tuesday, March 21, 2006
The 12-year Plan
Bethany's birthday retrospective (Happy Birthday, BLJ!) made me remember my infamous 12-year plan.

When I was 17 and a senior in high school I made a list of all the things I wanted to accomplish before I turned 30. I dug out the list tonight -- a slightly crumpled piece of paper that has been demoted over the years from my trapper keeper, to a filing cabinet, and finally to the dusty depths of a tattered cardboard box. When I was in my 20s and starting to notice the items on this list were not getting checked off I felt badly. A bit like a failure -- someone who was unable to realize my dreams. Now, however, I can look on it with a bit of love for the girl that I was and respect for the woman I have become despite changing my goals along the way.

I didn't go to large state university as I had hoped. When I didn't get accepted, I was crestfallen. Instead I went to smaller school without the big name or reputation. There, I met an amazing group of friends, learned major lessons in diversity, and was given real life opportunities that I may never have received otherwise.

I never moved out of state, or better yet, out of country for a few years like I had planned. (Though I did try for a job transfer to Australia once!) But I held a job that required lots of travel for a while. I've been in 37 different states. I visited cities so small the billboard as you entered the town says "Population: Just Plain Good Folks." And I've battled subway stations and highway traffic in our country's biggest cities. I've seen more than I had even planned for myself and I'm richer for it.

I'm single, which goes completely against my plans for marrying the perfect blend of John, Jeff, and Jamie (three guys that were pretty important to my 17-year old self). I never would have aimed to have my heart miserably broken. I never would have expected to do something so horrible as cheat on a boyfriend. I never would have wanted to break any hearts myself. But I've done all three things -- some multiple times. And I've learned and grown with each experience.

I don't have two kids with plans for two more. And I know the teenager in me is surprised that I'm adopting a child from Russia. It may not be the path I expected to take, but the end result is the same. I will be a mother.

At 17 I thought I knew it all. I thought I knew what was right for me and my life. Now at 33, if there's one thing I know, it's that I don't know it all. But so far, though it's taken turns I couldn't have ever expected, life's been pretty good. I can't wait to turn the next page.

What things in your life turned out different (better or worse) than you might have expected back when you were a teenager?
9 Comments:
Blogger Elle said...
I cannot honestly remember what I wanted in life at 17. I think it was to get out of my mom's house. I did that.
What I can say is that I can look back on my life and say what I would may have done differently. Not saying that I have regrets in life. Just saying that some of the choices I made may not have been the best.
I am not much of a life planner. I take each day as it comes.

Blogger Her Grace said...
It amazes me sometimes how different we were then, but yet ended up so close. Of course you had a 12 year plan and of course you saved it. That's my Margaret.

I think the teenager in you would be proud at the woman you've become.

Blogger Jennefer said...
You sound like you have led quite an exciting life so far. I always thought it sounded quite glamorous to travel a lot with a job. And tadopting from Russia is just another cool thing to be doing. I think most people would consider your life very eventful.

As for my own life. Well I never would have planned on marrying someone just to leave them two months later and go through that whole fiasco- but it has made us stronger.

I would also never have believed I would be a military wife. I was anti-military in high school. I'm not now- I have a great deal of respect for the soldiers in the military. However, I really dislike how the military controls our lives. However, there have been some good points- free medical care, tax-free housing money- stuff like that. Even so, I can't wait to get out.

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
I had a similar list I created in 1987. I can't find it now (due to the move) but I did end up marrying my "dream guy", and I also lived in the UK for a few years (1997-2001). I also indicated that I didn't want any children... I imagined I'd be a corporate executive, flying around the world... (well, I do some of that I guess but lucky I don't have a job that's so "corporate") and not have time for kids. I'm glad I've not lived out all of my plans & got my priorities straight.

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
sorry i'm tired. i think my last post sounds lame.

Blogger CarolinaGirl said...
You have hit a chord here... I was such a goal planner. I wrote down every goal that I wanted to hit. A lot I made, and I lot that I didn't. I made a lot of choices based on life events that took me down different roads. But, i made the best out of each of those roads and made goals for those roads. As crazy as it sounds...at 17...I was planning to head to LA...I had been acting in plays and writing stories since I was little. I was going to be in the 'Big times'. But, I ended up going the corporate route. I listened to too many people telling me that I would never make it. I believed them. I regret that. But, I wouldn't be where I am today. So, in that sense...I have no regrets. Because...you are are as old as you think you are. I have no expectations of being the next Julia Roberts. All I would like to do is just finish my screenplay just for myself and that is a personal goal I would like to do for myself. As selfish as that may sound. But, if you knew me...you would know, I am not good at doing things for myself. So this is a big deal.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I have a list, but it's not written down...which is unusual for a "list-maker". I think I knew it all at 17 too. I think that's fairly normal...I gues that's something to look forward to with Noah.

Life doesn't work out the way you always planned. You have to roll with the punches and make life what it is instead of worrying about what you thought it was going to be. Margaret, it sounds like you've done just that!

Blogger Holly said...
at 17 i was pregnant, married to an asshole, a high school dropout with no future and no hope.

i didn't have a list, but if i did it would have said "survive"

i think i've done that, with style even

*smiles*

Blogger Holly said...
oops, i was pregnant, with an infant i should add...