Friday, March 24, 2006
Two Paths

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

- Robert Frost


Ever since learning Peanut is with a foster family I've been afraid. There are just so many unknowns that increase the risk. Constantly hearing that there is no news weighs so heavily on me. But I can't give up. I won't give up.

A friend of mine is faced with a similar "path in the woods." She's choosing to take another path -- a path that's less risky and has more known quantities. She told me her decision a couple weeks ago and I still haven't responded. I feel like the worst friend in the world.

Adoption is so hard and it's such a personal thing. I know that. Her circumstances are somewhat different than mine. I know that. She and her husband are wonderful people -- I love them both. So why can't I bring myself to respond? Why can't I be supportive?

I think in some ways her decision scares me. She's incredibly intelligent, has great instincts, and I have an enormous amount of respect for her. So if she looks at the path I'm choosing and decides it's too treacherous to travel than what type of hell am I in for? Despite all odds, I still firmly believe that I will be able to bring Peanut home. But a nugget of fear remains. What if I'm choosing the wrong path?

I don't have the right to be judgmental just because my friend made a different decision. The logical part of my brain knows this, but I still can't bring myself to contact her. I feel terrible about it.
11 Comments:
Blogger Her Grace said...
My two cents?

If you look closely at your friend's situation and yours, you'll see they really aren't as similar as you think.

I won't go into details here, but think of it like a highway. Maybe you both were headed in a similar direction, but her reasons for getting on were completely different than yours. She may be pulling off at the nearest exit, but you're in for the long haul, and one doesn't have anything to do with the other.

I know you're scared, and I think the way you've handled this shows how strong and brave you really are, though you may not feel it.

I admire your dedication to Peanut, and your decision to stay the course, despite the risks. And I pray every day that you two will be back together again soon.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hi Margaret!

I've been following your blog for a while, hoping and praying that you hear some good news on Peanut. He is such a wonderful little boy, and even though I only met him shortly at the airport, I know in my heart that he is a boy worth fighting for.

There's a reason for everything, and others may choose different roads - but in the end, you and your friend will be exactly where you were supposed to be. Hang in there - this is a crazy adventure and very trying at times.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I don't personally know anyone in his region, but if there's anything else I can do for you locally - I'm here!

:) Lorien

Blogger bethee said...
Everyones adventure in this life is so diametrically opposed to anyone elses that any similarities are pure coincidances.

Keep the path that you need to keep, no matter what it is. :)

Blogger Jennefer said...
You still have hope and good reason to believe that everything will work out. It is true that something might happen- some fluke that will stop him from coming home to you, but what if that is not the case, what if you backed out and he could have come home to you? I know it is so hard to wait and not have news, but being that "hope" for Peanut- being that open home for him to come to is such a blessing for him and such a loving thing for you to do. He is so lucky to have you.

Blogger Woods Family said...
I love this poem. (who doesn't?) I like to think that adoption is that road less traveled by. Luckily we have found a group that has chosen that route and we can support and learn with each other.

You will be able to contact her soon. I do not think that you should feel guilty. You will know when you are able to contact her.

May news come your way soon.

Blogger Rhonda said...
I think that your instincts know the right path for you. Your friend might take a different road, but it sounds like that its just not the right road for you. I think you have to do everything you can to bring Peanut home..or you will always wonder. It would be difficult to call your friend, because her decision will probably discourage you on your path. Considering your current situation, I wouldn't want to call her either...it would be too difficult to hear a friend's opinion that my path is too risky. Right now you need positive vibes :) I don't think you're being judgmental.

Blogger Elle said...
Each of our adoption journeys are different. We make the choices that we believe are best for our individual families. No choice is wrong. Your road goes one way and hers goes another. Although you may not agree with her choice (or maybe you do) the friend in you will support her no matter what. I would hope that the friend in her would support you too.

Blogger Maggie said...
I think Lorien said it well. In the end my friend and I will both be where we're supposed to be. Sometimes it's just hard to have faith in that. I want so badly to support my friend -- cheer her on. I'm just battling with my own fear right now.

Thanks for all your comments.

Blogger 6blessings said...
Peanut obviously is deeply rooted in your heart. Follow it. Trust it. Nobody's paths are the same. What might be right for you may not be right for others. Everyone's different. Keep following your love.

Blogger avonlea said...
I don't know what I can add to the comments that have already been made - I agree, you need to follow your own heart and take the path where your heart leads you.

Blogger Sig said...
Dear Margaret,
There is no right or wrong. We all have to make the decision that is the best for us and our families (as I have had to do recently too). Either way , the decisions are not easy ones. If you truly believe that Peanut is meant to be your son, then you must go on and brave the hardships, and you will do so with the grace and love you have shown since you met him. I m praying Peanut will find his way home to you SOON. Keep the faith, my friend.