Friday, March 31, 2006
Giving My Heart Away
AE Housman has been my favorite poet for years. His poems speak such truth. My very favorite is "When I Was One and Twenty."


When I was one-and-twenty
I heard a wise man say,
"Give crowns and pounds and guineas
But not your heart away;
Give pearls away and rubies
But keep your fancy free."
But I was one-and-twenty,
No use to talk to me.

When I was one-and-twenty
I heard him say again,
"The heart out of the bosom
Was never given in vain;
Tis paid with sighs a plenty
And sold for endless rue."
And I am two-and-twenty,
And oh, 'tis true, 'tis true.

Twenty-one is just a fond memory for me now. But back then I loved this poem and held it dear. To my younger self it meant that you're bound to get hurt when you open yourself up for love. Now it holds a different message. I think instead of warning people from love, Housman was instead showing the power of it. When you give your heart away, there's bound to be some heartache to follow. But what Housman's wise man didn't say is that it can be so worth it.

I did give my heart away. To a tiny little boy with golden-brown eyes and a silly little smirk. And the months waiting to bring him home have had more than their share of heartache. So I ask myself, is it worth it? The answer is a clear, resounding YES.

6 Comments:
Blogger Her Grace said...
I think that true love is always a risk worth taking --and that's what you and Peanut have.

Counting the days until you're back together again.

Blogger Rhonda said...
Yes, I agree...totally worth it. And I have no doubt Peanut has given his heart away to you too.

Blogger 6blessings said...
There's no better person to give your heart away to than a child! Peanut and you are blessed to have each other. You are one day closer to being together than the day before.

Blogger Deb said...
Thanks for that. It's nice to hear that hurt is normal along the journey to beconme parents.

Blogger Elle said...
I echo what Kim said. Such rich blessings are our children.

Blogger Jennefer said...
It is always worthwhile to love a child. That love is never for nothing and never wasted.

I like that poem. I really like poetry. When I got my wisdom teeth out and was recovering over the next week (if you have had it done you will know how bad this is) I had a big book of classic poems that I kept with me the whole time. It really got me through that.

When poems speak to your heart they can carry you through tough times (like this wait!)