Saturday, April 29, 2006
Everywhere

Peanut is the most beautiful creature I've ever laid eyes on. He has this intensity to him -- everything he does is big. He laughs big -- from the bottom of his belly. He loved me with ferocity. He dove into learning headfirst -- as we read books before bedtime each night I would teach him the Arabic letters and how to read some words in English. With each new word... zoo, bus, car... he would raise his arms and cheer "hoorah!" He reacts big -- at camp when he felt angry or hurt he would lash out and punch. While I never condoned hitting and anger management was something I planned to work on with him, I respected this quality of his. He didn't know how to hem and haw and second-guess himself. He trusted his instincts and acted. He was silly and goofy and could find something funny in every situation.

I learned so much from my kiddo. He taught me the power of a mother's love. And I will always, always love him as my son. He taught me the true meaning of forgive and forget. One weekend, with my broken Russian, I told him that we were going to get him a bike the next day. He must have believed it would be next to his bed in the morning, because he was disappointed from the moment he woke up. We had plenty of people to see in the morning and a Kidsave group activity in the afternoon and he just pouted more and more. He was so angry with me. But when we cleared it up and he understood he hugged me and all was forgiven.

Peanut brought so much joy to my home and my heart. My world was complete with him in it. As hard as these past months have been, it was all worth it knowing I was going to bring him home. Now, I'm floundering. I feel as if I've spent months on a raft that was rocking wildly in the waves -- but I was always tethered to shore. Now my tie has been cut loose and I feel lost. If I'm not Peanut's mom, who am I?

He's everywhere in my home, everywhere in my town. His presence is palpable. I don't just mean his pictures, toys, or belongings. The memory of him and everything we did is alive. Hopefully that will become a comfort, but right now it's cloying. There's my living room floor where I envision him playing ninja or imitating the somersault Willie Wonka did. My backyard where we spent hours playing soccer and catch. The stores where we'd walk to and he beg me for treats. The little nooks and crannies of my home where he'd hide random things like the keys to my neighbor's house. My loveseat where we'd play cards and he'd cheat -- I'd call him "Cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater" and he'd laugh and laugh.

He's everywhere and I miss him so much it hurts.

22 Comments:
Blogger M3 said...
Oh Margaret, this is so hard!!! The pictures of Peanut are beautiful, just beautiful. You can see the spirit shining in his eyes. I hope over time your memories of him are a comfort knowing that you gave him the best summer he'd ever had. He clearly loved every minute he spent with you and that helped shaped who he will become. Take care of yourself,
M3

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
I keep thinking that this is all a bad dream and I'll wake up & read your blog and get the news you (we) have been waiting for. I don't know what to say. This is one of those times in life where you just have to take one day at a time - and just get through the basics - eat, sleep and breathe.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Oh he is adorable. And his antics (ninja moves, "everything he does is big", cheating at cards)- remind me so much of my son. My heart just breaks for you. Like Tricia, I keep hoping this is all just a bad comedy of errors and it will turn out that he's ready and waiting for you. I'm sorry for the loss and anguish you are feeling- I wish there was something that could be done to ease your pain.

Blogger Her Grace said...
I wish a lot of things. I wish that this was a horrible mistake and Peanut really was on his way home to you. I wish that things had gone differently, been handled differently. I wish that Russia wasn't so damn far away. And I wish that there was something I could do to ease your pain, to take it from you just for a minute so that you could really be free of it, if only for a short time.

This post is beautiful. I'm so lucky to have met and gotten to know Vladimir. I always knew you were destined to be a mother. You've wanted it your whole life, and seeing you with Vlad, I got to see the mother in you -- and she is beautiful.

The skies are dark and heavy with rain right now, the clouds so thick you think they'll never let up. But I know your future is bright and when those clouds break and the sun peaks through -- you'll be ready.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Thank you for sharing your time with him with my family.

I told L, last night that V will be staying in Russia, our hearts are broken, but L summed it up...."At least we had "some" time with him, and M will be a great mom to another child....maybe she should try for a Korean".....(He has a Korean child in his class and understands that they are "adoptable")

Let's try and take some of L's "kid optimism" and put it to good use, healing.

Much Love,

Kim and Matt

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Margaret, my heart bleeds for you. You don't know me, but I've read your blog from time to time and saw this linked today. I know how much disappointment is in a lost referral as that has happened to me twice (same child). I hadn't actually met this child so your pain is greater....

I'm glad you are finding some pieces of the story to have comfort in....that he has a home now. When you have a little time to reflect, I hope you will find the strength to try again. I'm glad I did. Take care. Don't be afraid to grieve.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
PS: forgot to sign my post, my name is Serena.

Blogger Jennefer said...
I have been thinking about you all day and worried about how you are doing. We took our family to the National Building Museum in Washington DC and when I went to look in the guest book there were lots of signatures on the page on the right, but the page on the left had one name spelled out largely in cursive diagonal across the page and it said: Margaret. I know it sounds silly, but I took it as a sign of your need for continued thoughts and prayers as you go through this hard time. What a gorgeous child he is. He will always be blessed to be in your heart and I know you will never forget him.

I am so glad to read that you aren't giving up though, there is another child out there for you. Someone who has been waiting for you.

Blogger Kim said...
It is great to see a picture of this most-loved little boy. My heart hurts for your loss!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm just a random lurker, but it was clear how much you loved him. And remember, he'll never forget you. Eight is old enough to remember exciting events, and you gave him one hell of a summer and showed him how great living in a family could be. That's going to stay with him.

RR

P.S.--I think it's actually a Roman alphabet. I know, Arabic numbers and Roman alphabet ...one of the many strange things about the English language I'll never understand =)

Blogger Stephanie V said...
Your post made my heart break. Grieve Margaret, it doesn't mean you will forget him or that he will leave your heart, he will always be in your heart. And I love what Kay suggested, do something special in his honor.

I'm so sorry.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Margaret, those are beautiful pictures and I am sure you cherish them and all your great memories. I am awed by your courage.

Blogger Yeah So said...
I loved to read and see more about the boy you came to love. This tribute to him was so beautiful. Keep writing to us and we will all do our best to help you through this difficult time.

Blogger 6blessings said...
I'm just so sorry. I grieve for you. Thanks for sharing the precious pictures. I believe he will always be your son. I believe that we are the prayer parents to those we have "lost". I know you will hold him forever in your heart. How precious!! Hang in there! Remember the wave illustration someone gave me. Again, if there's anytime you need anything, please let me know.

Blogger Elle said...
He is beautiful!

Blogger Lauri said...
He is amazing Margaret, I cant imagine what your going through- Its seems as if he changed your life as much as you changed his and your time together will always be cherished & remembered. Im sure its much like a greiving process and please allow yourself every emotion.Enough of my assvice....
Im truly sorry for your loss

Hugs
Lauri

Blogger Jenny said...
I am very sorry.
-Jenny

Blogger Kristin said...
He is a beautiful child, Margaret...

Blogger Rhonda said...
Margaret, those pics of Peanut are just adorable. I've been thinking about you a lot. You know, just as Lisa and Kim are an inspiration to you right now...you are an inspiration to others going through this, too. You are definitely an inspiration to me! I hope the pain eases for you soon.

Blogger Elle said...
M I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I am so happy to see how much Peanut was loved by so many around the world. We are all so lucky to have gotten to know such a precious little boy through you. Thank you for making our lives richer through this experience.

I only wish you didn't have to go through this pain. You ARE a fantastic mother, never forget that. Vladimir will always be in your heart as a son.

Blogger CarolinaGirl said...
Margaret, I wished that I had the words to describe how sorry I truly am. You are an amazing person and you have touched so many lives through your blog. You have especially touched this young boy's life in a way that you will probably never even be able to imagine. Years from now, he will still remember you. He will hold a special place in his heart for you as you are for him. In times like these, I never really understand why God puts us through these types of pain. I know it is because when we get on the other side...we find out why. We look back and see his divine plan. But, in the meantime, when you are suffering like the way you are....where are the words? I realize that there really are none that you would want to hear other than..I am truly, truly sorry and we are here for you. My prayers and support are with you. Caroline

Blogger kirsten said...
he is beautiful margaret! you will carry him with you always and his life will be better because of that.