Tuesday, May 09, 2006
Wishes and Prayers
It was too brief. Peanut was brought into my life and it was wonderful... but it was too brief.

I'll never forget the first moment he walked off the plane. I whispered to my sister "There he is. There's my son." I knew right away we were meant to be together. During the five weeks he stayed with me we both experienced so much about life, bonding, and love. After a day or so of getting used to each other, he and I were a team.

Those of you who have adopted before will understand when I say that bonding is a process -- and it's a beautiful thing to experience. After his first full day here I told him I loved him even though I knew I should wait until he was more comfortable. After a moment of surprise he just smiled shyly. He wasn't used to hearing that and he liked it. Within a week or so he was saying "loublue tebya" back and by week 3 he really meant it.

Near the end of his stay he was attached and happy, but I recall a momentous occasion when I realized that -- above and beyond happy -- he was content. He always prefered my full attention and, unless otherwise necessary, I was happy to give it. But one day he grabbed his toy cars and some action figures and went on the back patio to play. Within a few minutes I looked outside with the intention of joining him. But I realized he was comfortable and secure enough to play without me.

So that is how I'm choosing to picture him now. In his new home I have heard that he is happy. I still wish I could write to him and I will continue to try. But for now, I have to have faith that I helped him develop security and trust so that he can be content and happy in his new life without me.

With the knowledge that he is OK and with someone who cares for him, I have to let my sweet boy go. I'll trust in God and his new mother to raise him with confidence, foster his intelligence and passion, encourage his generosity and humor, and never let his fighting spirit wither.

Peanut Pants is his story. (I don't know anyone else who arrived in America with purple warm-up pants chock full of airplane peanuts.) As much as it pains me, his story is no longer mine to tell. As for me, I'm moving on. I'm a firm believer that when God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window. So please join me on my search for The Open Window.

To my dear boy, I'm so sorry that I was never able to say goodbye. While I'm sad that we won't be family I am happy for your new chance in life. My wish for you is that you'll always remember to look for the good in life and in others. Love with your whole heart -- the way you loved me. Trust in yourself, your strength, and your instincts. Hang on to the people who love you because they will help you reach your full potential. You have the whole world in front you. With faith, prayer, ambition, and love you can go anywhere and do anything. I'm so proud of you and I love you with everything that I am.

To all of you who have followed Peanut Pants, thank you for your prayers and support. In closing, please comment and leave a wish and a prayer for Peanut.

13 Comments:
Blogger A Room to Grow said...
I am constantly amazed that through Margaret's posts I've come to know and care for Peanut... this little guy I've never met.

I wish you the best Peanut, and hope that someday you and your American mom can reunite. It wouldn't be to say goodbye, but another hello and a wish for the beginning of a new relationship together.

Blogger Sig said...
My heart is aching for you but yet rejoicing that you are starting anew. My thougths are always with you.
I know peanut is happy and is home now. My prayer is that he always feels your love that will be with him forever.
Love to you both. And on to a new chapter.

Blogger Her Grace said...
My hope for Peanut is for a happy, secure, full life and that he is encouraged to -- like you said -- live and love to the fullest.

I also hope that he holds you and America always in his heart and carries the good times he had here, the love he has for you, and the lessons in love he learned with him forever.

Finally, my hope for you is that when you find that open window that you go through it with your whole heart, ready to find what lies ahead for you.

With love...

Blogger 6blessings said...
Dear Lord,

Thank you for Margaret and Peanut, two very special people that you made and who came into each other's lives to help in a time of need. Thank you for all that they learned about life and love together. Bless them both. Give them both your peace that passes all understanding. Please show Margaret the open window you have prepared for her. I pray that through this journey she would grow closer to you and understand Your perfet plan for her future. Be with Peanut. Orphans are very close to Your heart and You have promised to take care of them. I know you have provided for him here in the USA and also in Russia. You have surrounded him with people who love him and are praying for him all over the world. Give him everything he needs and help him to grow up happy. Thank you that You are with us always.

Amen

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Peanut, I hope in your short time here that you learned to love and to trust and to open your heart and that helps you develop a strong bond with your new family. I know Margaret misses you terribly, but perhaps there is another child who needs her more than you did. I hope that God helps her find that child, and quickly. :)

Good luck to you in your new life.

Blogger Elle said...
To Peanut,

May your mother foster your intellegence and will. May you learn to live life as it is meant to be lived and may the Lord hold you in His arms everyday of your life. You touched the lives of so many people around the world. Our lives are so richly blessed by having you in them. You taught us that a little boy's enthusiasm can be contagious. And most of all you taught one woman that unconditional love is the greatest gift ever.

Richest blessings to you and your whole family.

Blogger Jennefer said...
A wish and a prayer...

I wish for Peanut a beautiful life and a knowing sense that he is loved more than he can imagine.

I pray that he will feel your love in his dreams and through his spirit.

Thanks for letting us share in your story.

Blogger Yeah So said...
Thank you Peanut, for helping me find Margaret, and others like her who help me get through this crazy adoption process. I hope you find half as much love with your new family, as you did with Margaret. She gave you a great foundation, so you should do just fine.

Blogger kirsten said...
"and whoever welcomes a little child like this in My name welcomes Me."--matthew 18:5

Heavenly Father,
thank you for the work You have done in the lives of margaret and peanut. thank You that though we don't understand Your work in this situation, we know You are working. thank You for bringing margaret and peanut together. thank You for forming a bond of love between them. thank You for showing margaret she has what it takes to be a mom, even to a boy from half-way around the world. thank You for showing peanut he has what it takes to try new things, be new places, meet new people. thank You for keeping peanut safe and for placing him in a home where he is loved and wanted. please use this to bring comfort to margaret's heart. please help her to feel Your love and the love coming from those around her. thank You for her willingness to be open to Your plan. thank You that Your plan is the only plan we can trust.
in Your precious name,
Amen

"for I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord."--jeremiah 29:11

Blogger The Belanich's said...
My warmest wishes and thoughts of you and Peanut pants. This chapter may be over but will never be forgotten...

Blogger Lauri said...
My prayers for peanut- that he may always know love, feel loved, valued and grow into an excellent man and have a great life.

My prayer for Margaret- that she may find the clarity she needs to continue on her path to motherhood, and that the light that peanut brought into her life- surround her, indwell her and fill her with peace.

Blogger Shannon said...
I am heartbroken for you and for Peanut. I hope that he finds the love and the home that you wanted to give him so much. I hope you find peace in your heart that things happen for a reason, even if we never know the reason. I wish you strength to get through the next few weeks. And I KNOW that Peanut knows you loved him, so there isn't much more to wish for for him.
Peace be with you.

Blogger The Mater said...
"All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on." Havelock Ellis

Oh Margaret, you had him briefly and then he had to go. But you've both left imprints on each other. Love never dies.

"Remember that everything has God's fingerprints on it." Richard Carlson

Go gently and continue to trust.