Friday, May 05, 2006
New Hope
A while back I posted about hope. The first quote came from an Emily Dickinson poem -- one of my all time favorites. It inspired me then, but it resonates even more strongly with me now.

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tunes without the words,
And never stops at all.
a
And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.
a
I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

Last week when I first learned that I wouldn't be able to adopt Peanut, any element of hope was knocked flat to the ground. The storm was sore enough to abash the little bird. But flickers of hope are coming back. I'm beginning to envision a life without my boy, a life with another unknown child. And I have to say that Emily nailed it. During a gale, hope's song is sweeter than ever.
6 Comments:
Blogger 6blessings said...
Glad to see that you are experiencing some healing. Your forever child is awaiting you somewhere and V will always need your prayers.

Blogger Her Grace said...
It's good to see you getting your feet back firmly underneath you.

Here's to hope, and here's to your future.

Blogger sandy said...
Margaret,

You are such an inspiration. To be honest, it's was very hard for me to return to your blog after the Peanut news because it was such an incredibly painful thing that you went through, and I cried for you. I have a son, and I cannot imagine losing him, at any cost. And as a pre-adoptive mother, this type of loss is fearfully close to all of us. But I returned Tuesday in hope of giving you some encouragement... and after reading your Monday post, it was so uplifting and full of hope and reassurance that I realized that God brought me there to minister to ME. That I should not fear. So now I'm delurking, and letting you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I wanted to let you know that lately when I've been discouraged and heavily burdened, I've found the first two Beatitudes to be an extreme comfort. Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. May you have these blessings, and many more.

Sandy

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
If you need any cookies too, just let me know! Thinking about you alot this week...

Blogger Jennefer said...
I am so glad that you are feeling more optimistic. I believe poetry can heal.

Blogger Lauri said...
Hey Margaret


That was an inspiring post & great poem- a fav of mine that I have not read in many years- glad to see that your spirits are lifted, you certainly lifted mine today.

Take Care
Lauri